Monday, April 14, 2014

How do I lead my team?

In his book, The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, John Maxwell wrote, “Leadership is influence – nothing more, nothing less.” So the question now becomes, “How do I influence my team?” There are many ways to influence people, but showing respect by simply listening to them is one of the most fundamental. Here’s a quick checklist to ensure you are listening to your people: 
  • "I maintain eye contact…nothing distracts me."
  • "I don’t interrupt before the speaker finishes (unless I have to)."
  • "I am able at any point to summarize what the speaker has said."
Incidentally, the last item is both a characteristic and a criterion of effective listening.
Remember, the key to leadership is influence…you cannot influence without listening…the key to listening is summarizing.

For more information about management and employee training programs visit our website at PplDev.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment